Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Love Lives Here Step Card




Sometimes you get something in your mind and don't realize until too late that it's going to take you a  long time to complete!  This design had been brewing for a while and the longer I thought about it, the more it grew and grew!

The initial inspiration for this digital cutting file design came from a very sweet piece that Julia from WOYWW created which you can see here. My design morphed many times from there! I thought the project could use some birds and these were inspired by my friend, calligrapher Roy Elwen.  I met Roy when I lived in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and he has been a dedicated correspondent ever since.  Roy passed away just before Christmas. I had an email from him several weeks before he passed away, in which he described his garden and the birds visiting it.  He mentioned Dunnocks.  I didn't know what a Dunnock was, so I looked them up.  Here, in honour of Roy, are my pair of Dunnocks. But you may turn them into any bird you wish.

This card, with it's small pieces, unexpectedly challenged me to use a variety of adhesives!  My favourite "go-to" is always Glue Dots, but even the Micro Glue Dots were a bit too big for some of these elements.  I found the Best Glue Ever had such a fine applicator and it's so sticky than it did a better job on tiny pieces of heavier cardstock than a glue pen I tried.  Pop Dots are great for dimension and the Stamp Runner is great for large panels.


The paper I used varied a lot, too.
I like American Crafts smooth cardstock because it cuts so cleanly and I used it in these colours:
Kraft, Dark Kraft, Orange and Vanilla
The leaves were Core'dinations cardstock
and "Love Lives Here" was cut from Beckett Cambric Beet.


The base of the card and the birdhouse are Heartfelt Creations paper - from their Daphne and Posey Patch collections.

You don't have to assemble this card exactly as I have - and you don't have to use all the pieces.  That's the great thing about having so many pieces in a design.  The variations are almost endless!
Happy creating!  Thanks for dropping by.
Suzanne

Here are thumbnail links to some of the supplies used in this project which can be found on the Quietfire site and the link to the cutting file on the Silhouette Online Store:

3 comments:

  1. Such a pretty card! It is heartwarming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful card and a touching tribute. I was quite moved by your expression.
    Take care
    Angela

    ReplyDelete